1. The HALO Trust is the world’s largest international humanitarian Mine Action Non-Government Organisation (NGO). HALO’s focus is to save lives and restore communities threatened by Explosive Remnants of War (ERW), such as landmines, aircraft and cluster bombs, artillery projectiles, rockets and missiles, and improvised explosive devices (IEDs). HALO was established in Afghanistan in 1988 and now employs almost 9,000 staff in 26 countries and territories.
2. HALO’s programme in Syria was established in 2016. It is coordinated from programme offices in Amman, Jordan and Gaziantep, Turkey. HALO conducts its project work in Syria through national NGO partners based in Gaziantep and a HALO Field Office in Kelli, Idleb. The scope of HALO’s current projects in Syria covers Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD), Non-Technical Survey (NTS) Explosive Ordnance Risk Education (EORE) and Victim Assistance (VA).
3. The finance section includes 2 staff – Finance Manager and Finance & Administration Officer
Position and responsibilities
4. Supervisor: Finance Manager
5. Responsible for: Cleaner/Office Assistant.
6. The Finance and Administration Officer assists the management of programme finances and administration. Main responsibilities include accounting; cash, payments and banking; payroll; and general administration duties. Other responsibilities may include supporting the preparation of project budgets and the allocation of expenses across project budgets.
a. Compliance: i. Under guidance from Finance Manager ensure programme financial policies and procedures are followed strictly and are in compliance with HALO’s Global Finance and Accounting Manual. ii. Under guidance from Finance Manager, ensure programme procurement procedures are followed, relevant to compliance and value for money requirements. b. Accounting: i. Prepare purchase vouchers (PVs) before submitting to Finance Manager for checking. ii. Ensure all expenditure transactions are recorded properly on Netsuites, HALO’s accounting programme.
c. Cash, payments and banking: i. Prepare the monthly cash request for checking by Finance Manager before signature by the programme manager and submission to HALO HQ. ii. Receive invoices and arrange the payment of invoices, based on confirmation that the correct procurement process has been applied. iii. Receive, review and process staff travel reimbursement requirements, ensuring correct procedures have been applied.
iv. Maintain petty cash and associated records. v. Manage the programme office’s bank accounts.
d. Payroll: i. Undertake staff payroll preparation work for checking by senior finance staff, including calculations for salary, income tax, social security and other government charges. ii. Prepare and issue staff payslips. iii. Ensure the timely submission of monthly payroll information to the bank. iv. Prepare the annual income tax declaration and balance sheet for checking by senior finance staff.
e. Programme/project budget management: i. Under guidance from Finance Manager, be prepared to assist with the allocation of expenses across project budgets.
f. Financial reporting and auditing: i. Under guidance from Finance Manager, be prepared to assist with the preparation of financial statements, project donor financial reports, and payment requests submitted to donors and/or HALO HQ. ii. Under guidance from senior finance staff, be prepared to support internal and external audits, and assist HALO HQ Finance with required documentations for audits conducted at HALO HQ.
g. HR & Administration: i. Maintain the programme office’s staff attendance and leave register. ii. Maintain a file containing staff employment contracts, based on guidance provided by the programme manager. iii. Maintain the programme office’s asset register. iv. Maintain a list of suppliers used regularly by the programme office. v. Provide guidance (as required) to the office cleaner in relation to the conduct of basic office administrative duties.
7. All HALO staff are expected to undertake the following general duties:
a. Work within the framework of HALO’s core values, promoting its ethos and mission statement.
b. Work towards achieving programme and/or group business plan objectives.
c. Ensure familiarity with and adhere to all HALO policies and procedures and keep informed of HALO activities.
d. Travel to other countries (e.g. to other HALO programmes), as and when required.
e. Discharge duties and responsibilities under HALO’s Health and Safety procedures.
8. This job description is intended to summarise the main duties and responsibilities of the appointment; this is not intended to be a full and exhaustive list of tasks. All HALO staff are expected to demonstrate flexibility and willingness to perform appropriate tasks when the need arises.