Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution
(Department of Consumer Affairs), Govt. of India
Recruitment of Scientist-‘B’ through GATE.
Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), a statutory body under the administrative control of Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Govt. of India, is the National Standards Body of India and is responsible for activities in the field of Standardization, Product and System Certification, Hallmarking of Gold/Silver Jewellery, Laboratory Testing etc., in the country. BIS is also responsible for Standardization and Certification at the International level.
BIS offers excellent career opportunities to bright, young dynamic persons for the post of Scientist-‘B’ in the specified disciplines and categories. These posts are in the Pay Level 10 as per the Seventh Central Pay Commission plus allowances as applicable. The gross emoluments at the time of joining will be approximately Rs.87, 525/- at Delhi at present. For important Service Conditions refer to Annex 1.
The total number of vacancies is 28 in various disciplines as per details given below:-
|S. No||Discipline||Number of vacancies||Horizontal Reservation for Person with Benchmark Disabilities (including backlog vacancies)|
|S. No||Discipline||Required Essential Qualification||Corresponding GATE Paper and its Code|
|1.||Civil Engineering||1) Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Technology or equivalent with not less than sixty per cent marks in aggregate [fifty per cent for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes].
2) Having valid GATE* score of 2019/2020/2021. The GATE score must be valid as on 25.06.2021 (closing date of application).
|Civil Engineering (CE)|
|2.||Instrumentation Engineering||Instrumentation Engineering (IN)|
|3.||Environmental Engineering||Environmental Science & Engineering (ES)|
|4.||Textile Engineering||Textile Engineering and Fibre Science (TF)|
|5.||Chemistry||1) Master’s Degree in Natural Sciences or equivalent [in Chemistry discipline only] with not less than sixty per cent marks in aggregate [fifty per cent for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes].
2) Having valid GATE* score of 2019/2020/2021. The GATE score must be valid as on 25.06.2021 (closing date of application).
The maximum age limit of candidates is 30 years of age as on 25.06.2021.
Relaxation in upper age limit for SC/ST/OBC/ Persons with Benchmark Disabilities/Ex-Servicemen shall be as notified by Central Government, from time to time.
The Relaxation in upper age limit for SC/ST candidates shall be 5 years; for OBC candidates shall be 3 years; for Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (UR) candidates shall be 10 years; for Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (SC/ST) candidates shall be 15 years; for Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (OBC) candidates shall be 13 years. The upper age limit for Departmental candidates serving in BIS and meeting requisite essential qualifications is 50 years.
Age relaxation for Ex-Servicemen:
(i) Upto a maximum of three years (eight years for SC/ST) in the case of Defence Services Personnel disabled in operations during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area and released as a consequence thereof;
(ii) Upto a maximum of five years in the case of Ex-servicemen including Commissioned Officers and ECOs/SSCOs who have rendered at least five years Military Service as on 25.06.2021 and have been released;
(a) on completion of assignment (including those whose assignment is due to be completed within one year) otherwise than by way of dismissal or discharge on account of misconduct or inefficiency, or
(b) On account of physical disability attributable to Military Service, or
(c) On invalidment
(iii) Upto a maximum of five years in the case of ECOs/SSCOs who have completed an initial period of assignment of five years Military Service as on 25.06.2021 and whose assignment has been extended beyond five years and in whose case the Ministry of Defence issues a certificate that they can apply for civil employment and that they will be released on three months’ notice on selection from the date of receipt of offer of appointment.
Note I: The term Ex-Servicemen will apply to the persons who are defined as ex-servicemen in the Ex-Servicemen (Re-employment in Civil Services and Posts) Rules, 1979, as amended from time to time.
Note II: The age concession under para (ii) & (iii) above will not be admissible to Ex-Servicemen and Commissioned Officers including ECOs/SSCOs who are released on own request.
NOTE III: Candidates seeking age relaxation will be required to submit copies of necessary certificate(s) at the time of Online Application, Interview and at any subsequent stage of the recruitment process as required by BIS.
The selection methodology will comprise of following stages:–
a) Short-listing based on GATE 2019, GATE 2020 & GATE 2021 Score: The shortlisting of candidates for Personal Interview will be based on the valid score of GATE 2019, GATE 2020 or GATE 2021, as may be applicable. Short-listing of candidates for Personal Interview will be done in order of merit of valid GATE Scores. In case of tie, with two or more candidates having same GATE score, then the seniority in the merit will be decided based on following criteria:
(i) Candidate having higher Percentile will be given seniority in merit. Percentile will be calculated by following formula: Percentile = (Number of Candidates appeared in concerned GATE paper– All India Rank of Candidate in the concerned GATE paper)/ Number of Candidates appeared in concerned GATE paper.
(ii) In case of further tie in Percentile, seniority in merit will be based on age of candidates, with candidate having earlier date of birth (i.e. elder in age) given higher seniority.
b) Personal Interview: Only the Short Listed candidates will be called for Personal Interview. Number of candidate to be called for interview will not be higher than 4 times the number of vacancies in the concerned discipline & category. The candidates will be allowed to take part in the Personal Interview process only after successful completion of the Document Verification process. The date, time and venue of interview will be intimated by e-mail. The same will also be hosted on our website: bis.gov.in.
c) Final merit list: Candidates shall be selected discipline wise on the basis of merit as determined by the aggregate marks obtained by giving eighty-five percent (85%) weightage to GATE Score and 15 percent (15%) weightage to the marks obtained in interview. In case a tie occurs in the aggregate marks obtained after interview (GATE Score + Interview Marks), the seniority of candidate will be based on the following criteria:
i) The tie may be resolved based on GATE Score with candidate obtaining higher score given high seniority in the merit list.
ii) In the unlikely case of the GATE Score getting tied too, based on age criteria, with the applicant elder in age given high seniority in the merit list.
Candidates are required to apply On-Line from 05.06.2021 to 25.06.2021 through BIS website www.bis.gov.in. No other means/mode of submission of applications will be accepted under any circumstances.
Before applying online, candidates should:
- Scan their photograph and signature ensuring that both the photograph and signature adhere to the required specifications.
- Scan the following certificates/ documents: Date of Birth Certificate, GATE Scorecard, Identity Proof, Degree and Mark sheet of Essential Qualification, Degree & Mark sheet of Higher/ Additional Qualifications (if any), Category Certificate (if applicable).
- iii. Have a valid personal email ID and mobile no., which should be kept active till the completion of this Recruitment Process. BIS will send Interview call letters etc. through the registered e-mail ID.
- The Application Fees/ Intimation Charges [1100 hrs. on 05.06.2021 to 23:59 hrs. on 25.06.2021.] (Only through Online payment mode) both dates inclusive] is Rs.100/- and is Non-Refundable. No fees is required to be paid by SC/ST/ Ex-Serviceman/ Person with Benchmark Disability/Women Candidates. Bank Transaction charges for Online Payment of application fees/intimation charges will have to be borne by the candidate.
- Candidates are required to go to the BIS website www.bis.gov.in and click on the option “APPLY ONLINE” which will open a new screen.
- To register application, choose the tab “Register (New Candidate)” and enter Name, Contact details and Email-id etc. An Application Number will be generated by the system and displayed on the screen. Candidate should note down the Application Number. An Email & SMS indicating the Provisional Registration number will also be sent.
- All details in the application form should be filled carefully by the candidate.
- In case the candidate is unable to complete the application form in one go, he / she can save the data already entered by choosing “SAVE AND CONTINUE” tab.
- The Name of the candidate and his /her Father/ Mother etc. should be spelt correctly in the application as it appears in the Certificates/ Identity proof/ Mark sheets. Any change/alteration found may disqualify the candidature.
- Candidates can proceed to fill other details of the Application Form.
- Candidates can proceed to upload Photo, Signature, Date of Birth Document, GATE Scorecard, Identity Proof, Degree and Mark sheet of Essential Qualification, Degree & Mark sheet of Higher/ Additional Qualifications (if any), Category Certificate (if applicable).
- One of the following documents/ IDs is acceptable for identity verification of candidate: Aadhar Card/ Passport/ PAN Card/ Driving License/ Voter’s Card/ Bank Passbook with Photograph/ Valid University or College Identity Card/ Employee Identity Card of Government or Public Sector Organization.
- Click on the Preview Tab to preview and verify the entire application form before final submission.
- Modify details, if required, and FINAL SUBMIT Only after verifying and ensuring that the photograph, signature uploaded and other details filled by you are correct.
- Candidates are advised to carefully fill and verify the details filled in the online application themselves as no change will be possible/ entertained after the final submission.
Payment of Application Fees
The Application Fees [Payable from 05.06.2021 to 25.06.2021 (only through Online payment mode) both dates inclusive] is Rs.100/-and is Non-Refundable. No fees is required to be paid by SC/ST/ Ex-Serviceman/ Person with benchmark disability/Women Candidates. Bank Transaction charges, if any, for Online Payment of application fees/ intimation charges will have to be borne by the candidate.
- The application form is integrated with the payment gateway and the payment process can be completed by following the instructions.
- The payment can be made by using Debit Cards, Credit Cards and Internet Banking. 3. After submitting your payment information in the online application form, PLEASE WAIT FOR THE INTIMATION FROM THE SERVER. DO NOT PRESS BACK OR REFRESH BUTTON IN ORDER TO AVOID DOUBLE CHARGE.
- On successful completion of the transaction, an e-Receipt will be generated.
- Non-generation of ‘E-Receipt’ indicates PAYMENT FAILURE. On failure of payment, Candidates are advised to login again using their Provisional Registration Number and Password and repeat the process of payment.
- Candidates are required to take a printout of the e-Receipt and online Application Form containing fee details. Please note that if the same cannot be generated, online transaction may not have been successful.
- For Credit Card users: All charges are listed in Indian Rupee. If you use a non-Indian credit card, your bank will convert to your local currency based on prevailing exchange rates.
- To ensure the security of your data, please close the browser window once your transaction is completed.
IN CASE ANY OF THE DOCUMENTS UPLOADED INCLUDING PHOTOGRAPH & SIGNATURE IS UNCLEAR, THE APPLICATION MAY BE REJECTED. CANDIDATE SHOULD ALSO ENSURE THAT PHOTO IS UPLOADED AT THE PLACE OF PHOTO, SIGNATURE AT THE PLACE OF SIGNATURE AND ALL DOCUMENTS AT THEIR RESPECTIVE PLACES AS APPEARING IN APPLICATION. IF PHOTO/ SIGNATURE/ GATE SCORECARD/ EDUCTIONAL CERTIFICATES/ DATE OF BIRTH CERTIFICATE/ IDENTITY PROOF IS NOT UPLOADED PROPERLY, CANDIDATATURE IS LIABLE TO BE CANCELLED.
Important Service Conditions
(i) SURETY BOND: A candidate, on appointment to the post of Scientist- B, shall furnish a surety bond in the form specified by the Bureau, for serving the Bureau for a minimum period of three years. If he/she decides to leave the service either by resignation or absence from service without permission earlier than three years from the date of employment, he/she shall be required to reimburse the Bureau six months’ emoluments at the rate last drawn by him unless he/she has worked for a shorter period in which case he/she shall be required to reimburse the full amount drawn by him/her.
(ii) PROBATION: 2 Years.
(iii) SERVICE BENEFITS: Leave/LTC/Medical benefits are admissible including Leave encashment for 15 days in a year as per BIS guidelines/Central government rules.
(iv) POSTING: Anywhere in India.
(v) CAREER PROSPECTS: Scientific Cadre Officers of this Organization are presently covered under the ‘Modified Flexible Complementing Scheme’ as applicable to various Scientific Organizations with promotions based on performance and assessment or as applicable from time to time. For further details, please refer Bureau of Indian Standards (Recruitment to Scientific Cadre) Regulations, 2019.
|S. No||Activity||Schedule Date|
|1.||Commencement of On-line Registration of Applications||05.06.2021|
|2.||Closing of On-line Registration of Applications and payment of fee||25.06.2021|